This is the first association of the privately owned historic estates in modern Russia. It comprises 50 major estates, located in the 20 Russian regions. The background, as well as the time of construction, the historic ownership and subsequent fate of each of them is unique. Most of the buildings and grounds are now restored and open to the public. Here you can find the ancestral noble manors, the large manufacturers’ estates and luxury landlords’ retreats (as appears in the book in Russian alphabetical order).
The Altun Estate in the Pskov region has been known since the middle of the 18th century. The great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin had stayed many times with the owner of the estate in the 1820s. The estate and the magnificent landscape park have been restored and opened to the public. There is also a hotel and restaurant, as well as many cultural events and festivals being held.
More information is available on www.hotel-altun.ru or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Batashev-Shepelev Estate in the Nizhny Novgorod region was constructed in 1760-1770 and has been the heart and soul of the Verkhne-Vyksunsky factory. Now a large museum is located on the territory of the estate, hosting a number of exhibitions and special events.
More information is available on www.vyksa-usadba.ru
The Belkino Estate in the Kaluga region has been known since the second half of the 18th century. There is reason to believe that Alexander Pushkin visited the estate. The estate was the cultural centre of the Silver Age. The magnificent estate park has been restored and a number of cultural events are held here.
More information is available via e-mail: email@example.com
Bogdanovo-Vitovo Estate was built in the early 20th century near Kostroma. To this day the main house and other Art Nouveau buildings are well preserved, surrounded by a park with a pond. The complex is used as a hotel, where banquets and corporate events are held.
Contact details: +79038954627 Alexander
Bogimovo estate, built at the end of 18th century-beginning 19th century, located in the Ferzikovsky district of Kaluga region. This is the birthplace of V.V. Pronchishchev, a Russian navigator, Arctic explorer, and the discoverer of Taimyr. Over the years, the estate was visited by decembrist E.P. Obolensky and writer A.P. Chekhov. Thanks to continuous use during Soviet times, the manor buildings in the classicist style have survived, and are now being prepared for the implementation of environmental and livestock projects.
Contact details: +79857411991, + 79153124272; firstname.lastname@example.org; https://www.bogimovo.ru/ ; https://instagram.com/bogimovo_story
The house of the Moscow merchant D.F. Vinokurov, built in 1869, is located in the quiet Zamoskvorechie district. Now the Three Centuries Gallery is located here.
More information is available via e-mail: email@example.com
The house with lilies (House of Chernoglazov), the house of Izvoshchikov and the house of Druzhinin were built in Vologda at the end of the 19th century. Their fate was not easy. In the 21st century, new owners, the Yakimov family, began restoration in these wooden houses. According to their architectural merits, they received the status of objects of cultural heritage of regional importance, and Izvoshchikov’s house was awarded the prestigious ARCHIWOOD Prize.
More information is available via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The Volosovo Estate in the Tver region represents a masterpiece of Russian architecture of the end of the 18th century. Now the restoration work in the main building and in the park is practically completed. The museum related to the history of the estate has been established.
More information is available via e-mail
The Voronino Estate (18th century) in the Yaroslavl region, after more than half a century, belongs again to the descendants of the Leontyev noble family. They have fully restored the estate and established a museum. There is a hotel in the centuries-old park, where festivals and different cultural events are often held.
More information is available on www.v-usadbu.ru or via e-mail: email@example.com
The former house and studio of the famous Russian artist Ilya Glazunov is located on Novinsky Boulevard in Moscow. It was built in 1992. The house carefully preserves the family collection of Russian and European paintings and antiques. Musical evenings and exhibitions are held here regularly.
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org; www.v-usadbu.ru
Grebnevo, one of the oldest estates near Moscow, has been known since the 14th century. According to legend, the miraculous Grebnev icon of the Mother of God was revealed here. The history of the place is filled with myths and legends, вut time did not spare the manor. Active restoration work is underway in Grebnevo.
More information is available on www.usadbagrebnevo.ru
The main house of the Zubov Estate in Moscow refers to the end of the 18th century. The estate is open for cultural and artistic projects.
More information is available via e-mail: email@example.com
The ancient estate of Sapronovo village, in Stupino district, Moscow region, was first mentioned in 1577. The preserved centuries-old linden park, mighty oaks, ramparts and a spring water source in honour of Saint Sergius of Radonezh received a second life through efforts of an honorary citizen L.M. Pupynin, who in 1988 founded the estate “Golden Lion” on this historic site. The motto “Life on Earth in Harmony with Nature” is implemented by the owners in hotel and environmental activities and agritourism. Visitors are invited to visit the carriage salon.
Contact details: +79037244010, +79037297763; firstname.lastname@example.org ; www.leodoro.ru, www.pupynin.ru
Manor Kastrovyh in Kasimov on the Volga is one of the most interesting examples of the urban industrial estate of the mid-19th century. Its history reflects the formation of merchant bread-trading, and later the industrial capital. The estate, which was in disrepair until 2017, is undergoing restoration work and is being adapted to accommodate a hotel.
Contact details: +79262060372 ; email@example.com
The Kessler-Fersman Estate in Crimea (late 19th century) is more like a small «castle». Here the member of the Academy of
Science – Fersman A.E. spent his childhood. Now the restoration work is almost complete.
More information is available via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ladoga Manor located on the shores of the picturesque Niemelyansalmi Bay in Karelia. The Finnish landowner Oscar Nissinen built there a house, a stable, an elevator and a pier. Years passed. In 2014, restoration work began. So in the XXI century, this unique place was turned into a premium hotel complex.
Contact details: www.ladoga-usadba.ru, www.instagram.com/ladogausadba
The house of academician Legasov was built in 1950 according to the project of architect I.V. Zholtovsky in the style of «Stalinist neoclassicism.» It was the main residence and place of death of the Hero of Russia, Academician Valery Alekseevich Legasov (1936 — 1988).
More information is available via e-mail email@example.com
Marfino Estate is a monument of architecture, history and culture of the 16th-19th centuries. Located 20 km from Moscow. At the beginning of the XXI century the Sokolov family bought the part of the estate, where a landscape park of the late 18th-19th centuries is located. Along with the restoration of the park, it is planned to build a country hotel with the provision of cultural and sports entertainment.
Contact details: +74959126121 ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Pushniny’s House (Fur House) was built in St. Petersburg (Leningrad) in 1937-1939 for international auctions and exhibitions of fur products. The author of the project is Moscow architect D.F. Friedman. Currently, it is a modern exhibition, trade and office space.
Contact details: +74959126121 ; email@example.com
The Maryino Estate located on the outskirts of St.Petersburg, is the former family seat of the Stroganoff Counts and Prince Golitsyn. It has been restored to its fullest glory. The park is open for promenades. There are excursions, balls, concerts and other events in the palace and grounds. Part of the estate has been refurbished as hotel rooms.
More information is available on www.usadbamaryino.ru or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The house of merchants Mitrofanovs in the city of Borovichi in the Novgorod region was built in 1857. The family of local entrepreneurs revived the emergency building, not only to adapt it for the restaurant, but also landscaped the surrounding area, making it a cozy and attractive place.
Contact details: Restaurant ANTONIO, + 79212082288 ; www.antoniopizza.ru
The Muravyov-Apostol Estate in Moscow (middle of the 18th century) has changed a lot of owners over two centuries, but it is known as the house of three members of the Decembrist appraising. Currently the house is renovated and open as a place for cultural and artistic events.
More information is available on www.ma-housemuseum.ru
Ilya Zibarev is trustee of the volunteer project “The Common Cause. Revival of Wooden Churches of the North”, and co-founder of the Fund for the revival of the spiritual and cultural heritage of the country. His material support of emergency and conservation works for the project helped to save dozens of wooden architecture monuments which were of local and regional significance in the Arkhangelsk and Vologda regions, and the Republics of Karelia and Komi.
More information is available via e-mail: email@example.com
Irene Commo came to Russia from France in the 90’s. She built a house in the spirit of a Russian dacha in the early 20th century, settling in the village of Petrouchovo in the Kasimovsky district. The house has a fabulous atmosphere of a Russian estate located in the most beautiful place of the Ryazan region, are available to rent.
Contact details: +74956905190, +33624163928 ; firstname.lastname@example.org
“The Hidden Russia” project, dedicated to the revival of Plyos town on Volga river, is almost 20 years old. During this time A.V. Shvetsov, who led the project, restored fifty buildings, including architectural monuments and ordinary traditional Russian houses. The old functions of entire streets are reviving. So Plyos regains its historical face, which attracts guests to cultural and sporting events of this town.
Contact details: +79106866111, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, hiddenrussia.ru ; ttps://facebook.com/plios.ru/
The Pleshanov Estate (19th century) in the Rostov city of the Yaroslavl region is a charming hotel with restaurants, museums and all the necessary conditions and details which help to relax in an atmosphere of noble antiquity.
More information is available on www.hotelvrostove.ru
Rovnoye-Novolagodatnoye estate, founded near the town of Borovich in the 18th century. Grandson of last owner, born in exile, was able to return to the family estate and restore the manor church. Today, the ruined manor is being revived by the restorer Yury Moskovsky, who is planning to create a tourist and sports centre here.
Contact details: email@example.com ; www.mostovskoi.com ; +79215989033
The Museum of Russian Icon was created by businessman and philanthropist Mikhail Abramov. This is the only private collection of Byzantine and Old Russian art in Russia was officially transformed into a public museum on Goncharnaya Street. The Museum provides free sightseeing and thematic tours, a lecture hall, concerts and presentations.
Contact details: www.russikona.ru
The Serednikovo Estate in the Moscow region is a unique architectural ensemble of Russian classicism of the 18th century, associated with the great poet Mikhail Lermontov and the famous reformer Prime Minister Pyotr Stolypin. The estate is open to the public (the museum, horse riding club, cafe) and there are also different cultural and artistic events held here.
More information is available on www.serednikovo.su
The Skornyakovo-Arkhangelskoe Estate in the Lipetsk region was first mentioned in the 1680’s. There is a hotel and restaurant on the ground; there are different activities such as boating, cycling, and horse riding. You can also visit various conferences, workshops and other special events.
More information is available on www.usadba-nadonu.ru
An apartment building with shops, built in 1876-1878, located on Petrovka street number 20/1, Moscow. The area under the building was purchased by a specially created Partnership of Petrovsky trade lines to create an open-air shopping arcade. Like Petrovka street, house number 20 has seen many people and events, but it has preserved its original appearance until today, remaining an interesting historical object of Europe’s largest city.
More information is available via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hvalevskoe Manor is Russian country estate built by the Kachaloff noble family in the middle of the 19th century and recently renovated by direct descendants of the former owners. The manor is presently located in Borisovo-Sudskoe, Vologda region (formerly Belozersk princedom). Visits can be arranged by prior appointment.
More information is available on www.hvalevskoe.com
Manor of a Don Cossack is located in the Rostov region on the river North Donec. The manor has survived wars, the collectivization and dekulakization, as well as years of abandonment and desolation. Today, the descendants of the Cossack Piskunov invite guests and their children to stay in the manor guest house.
More information is available via e-mail: email@example.com
Waldau – an ancient Prussian castle of the Teutonic Order, dating back to 1264, located in Kaliningrad region. Its history is connected with the names of German princesses and Peter the Great, the creation of an agricultural academy and the cultivation of asparagus, the sale proceeds of which go to the restoration of the castle, which has become a center of gastronomic tourism.
Contact details: +79632998547, firstname.lastname@example.org, castle-waldau.rf ; www.facebook.com/nadezhda.sorokina.376 ; vk.com/club174574869, instagram: sorokina1634
The Krasino-Ubereznoe Estate in the Tula region (middle of the 18th century) is located on the picturesque bank of the Oka river. In the main manor house a museum has been opened, where various special events can be conducted.
More information is available via e-mail: email@example.com
The Krasnoe Estate in New Moscow was first mentioned in the 16th century. You can visit the temple and the park by prior arrangement. However, the interior of the manor house is currently under reconstruction.
More information is available via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The «Arina R» literary hotel is located in the heart of the Mikhaylovskoye Museum-Estate in the Pskov region. Everything here is connected to the great poet Alexander Pushkin. Activities include tours around the nature resort and sightseeing in Pskov. There is a restaurant and conference room.
More information is available on www.arinahotel.ru or via e-mail: email@example.com
The mansion of Maria Andreevna Popova is one of the most beautiful and famous house in Elatma. The mansions’s history reflects the whole history of the country, but now the neighbors say: Home — with character. This is the name of the project for its revival to create a historical, cultural and exhibition center.
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org ; domsharakterom.tilda.ws
The «Gontcharov» park-hotel is located in the park of the famous Linen Factory museum-estate (18th century) in the Kaluga region, in the ancient Сoach-house. It is the family estate of the famous poet Alexander Pushkin’s wife – Natalia Gontcharova. There is a restaurant, as well as a conference room and boat station.
More information is available on www.goncharov-park-hotel.ru
or via e-mail email@example.com
The house of the priest and writer I.S. Belyustin, related to the middle of the 19th century, is situated in the centre of Kalyazin on the bank of the Volga River in the Tver region. The scientific restoration of the houses with their interiors has been completed.
More information is available via e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
The ancient merchant village of Vyatskoye is located in the Yaroslavl region. To date, more than 30 monuments have been restored here and 12 different museums are now open. In addition, production of Vyatka pickles has been launched. The village of Vyatskoye is a member of the Association of the Most Beautiful Villages of Russia.
Contact details: +78003027005, email@example.com, вятское-село.рф
The Studeniye Klyutchi Estate (Cold Springs) is located in the Ivanovo region on the picturesque bank of the Volga River. The famous Moscow architect Adamovitch constructed the buildings in the early 20th century. The park and the house are now being restored. There are a number of festivals, concerts (some open-air), conferences and other events hosted here.
More information is availableon www.st-kl.com